Thursday, September 17, 2009

Flu Shot

The University is starting to give out the flu shot this week. They are making it available in many different locations at varying times so that most of the students here will have a chance to get it. I think this is a good idea because it should make the campus a safer healthier place. I also think that they are making swine flu too big of an issue. I don't think it's that big of a deal in Slippery Rock but they still send out all of these alert messages and emails. We should be more concentrated on issues that directly effect our community and less on rare diseases that very few people in the area are contracting.

5 comments:

  1. Well Zack i also find the the Flu shots are a good thing for the students. Although last year i recieved a Flu shot here but somehow managed to get ill at leat twice, one time being a nasty virus. The Swine Flu is highly contagious version of the flu, i belive its not quite the epidemic the school has made it out to be. Being cautious is one thing, but it seems they are scaring more people then they are helping. Im debating on getting a flu shot, mainly because i dont feel like dealing with a sore shoulder for two days, plus of how sick i got last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with you and I think getting the flu shot is a great idea! Everyone on campus should take advantage of this because it is for free. Also with all the viruses going around I feel that it is important for people to get this shot so we can stay healthy! I didn't get the flu shot here last year and I regretted it because I ended up getting really sick! There are alot of notifications going around campus so I am sure everyone will be taking advantage of thise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giving out the flu shot is a good idea, just because it is good for everyone to get one. Although the whole swine flu thing everyone is making a huge deal out off. The people that are most at risk of dying from it are the elderly and young babies. My friends’ mom works at a health center in New York and her mom said that if a college student was to get the swine flu it would be like getting the regular flu. The other problem I see with the swine flu is that most professors are really making a big deal about not missing a class. How are we as students suppose to take care of ourselves if we are sick if all the professors stress being in class all the time? If anyone watches the Early Show on CBS Harry one of the reporters is thought to have the swine flu and he says it is kind of like having the regular flu. Yet again the flu changes every year so next year you never know we might end up with the horse flu and everyone will be freaking out over that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are correct sir. I am actually going to get my flu shot right after this comment. With the swine flu such a big deal, everyone is worried about getting sick. I just got over my sickness and do not want to put up with it again. It is a great addition here at Slippery Rock to have the option to get a shot. This provides SRU students a chance to get a shot and stay healthy throughout the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree it seems like every time I check my email there is some sort of swine flu update. It is a serious issue, but it is better than it used to be. There are treatments for the swine now and it isn't as big of a health risk as it once was. As for the flu shot, it seems like if you don't get it your missing out. I refuse to get them anymore because when I did the last time, I got seriously ill and I am scared of that happening again. A good suggestion to prevent people from getting sick would be to actually fill the hand sanitizer machines. It seems like the first week of school they all worked, but once they were out of "juice" they were never refilled again.

    ReplyDelete